All but a couple of the translations Ive done myself. They arent available anywhere else on the Web so you can consider this an exclusive.
Get the backstory behind the dress that launched a thousands hips.
What to do in Munich – multi-day itineraries
There are a number of songs youre pretty much guaranteed to hear in the beer tents at this years Munich Oktoberfest.
3. The Munich Oktoberfest song scene is understandably dominated by German, but the English language is by no means ignored.
Get ready to swim, jump, flex your muscles and link arms with your neighbours.
Pop, rock and disco unkillables likeI Will Survive,Highway to HellandNew York, New Yorkare regularly belted out as the evening party atmosphere takes over in the tents.
Its sweet, funny and has a great oompah rythym.
The Hofbräuhaus-Lied still gets played regularly in the Oktoberfest tents, although perhaps less and less.
OKTOBERFEST SONGS:So youve got seat on a bench and are surrounded by friends. Youre juggling a huge mug of beer with an oversized pretzel. There are women in beautiful Dirndls, lederhosen lads and a cracking atmosphere. Its a perfect Oktoberfest. But theres one thing missing that you cant quite put your finger on until..
– This song by Austrian Andreas Gabalier was named the Wiesn-Hit of 2016 (and 2017!) so its bound to get a lot of plays at this years Oktoberfest.
So I thought it was about time to start a website devoted to ditties played at the famous festival.
Some of my most popular pages on Destination Munich were about Oktoberfest songs. People love them! They look for lyrics, translations, inspiration.
It strikes a chord with a lot of people – after all, who doesnt want a return to simpler times every now and then? This is my personal favourite song on the list.
Its a funny and insulting love song to Joana and a great example of modern German pop/rock.
songs (which simply means hitsin English) were huge in the sixties and seventies and are now back with a vengeance. Hallmark themes are love and nostalgia, rhythms are light and poppy and accompanying dances are invariably silly.
1. Blasmusik is played during parades and early on inside the beer tents before people are game or inebriated enough to get up on the benches and start swaying around.
Whats your favourite Oktoberfest song? Take our poll!
German, Spanish, English, hip-hop, ballads and head bangers, anything goes, as long as its popular.
For background, Wiesn is what the Germans call the festival, and each year theres a lot of competition about which song will steal the crown to be declared the sound of the festival. I kenn di von mein Handy translates as I know you from my phone and its about love in the age of Facebook, Twitter etc.
A post shared by NationalparkgemeindeNeuschönau (@neuschoenau)onJul 9, at 6:00am PDT
Its basically a kids song with a bunch of hand movements to do whilst singing along which makes for massive fun in the beer tents.
Pages from our sister site Destination Munich
Youre more likely to hear it earlier in the day because its slow by modern standards.
– If theres one song thats sure to get the entire Oktoberfest tent standing up on the benches and singing along its this pumping 1981 hit from Munich rockers the Spider Murphy Gang. The song starts with a high-velocity riff that doesnt let up, while the lyrics tell the tale of Rosi, a famous hooker – Skandal um Rosi!
The bands in the Oktoberfest tents dont follow any rules they just play what they think will go down well.
– The title of this classic Oktoberfest song is the name of a Austrian village, the singers home, and the lyrics tell of his wish to go back there after getting overwhelmed by city life in Vienna.
What would Oktoberfest be without it?
Oktoberfest music can be split into four can be classed into four categories; 1. Brass-band music (
Hi! Im Stu and I started this website in 2008 during a six-year stint living in Bavaria. I also started a general travel website about Munich and Bavaria at
Weve recently added pages on a couple of newer songs which are popular in the beer tents. There is the traditionalI sing a Liad fr diand the party anthemHulapalufrom the Austrian singer Andreas Gabalier. And weve also added Helene Fischers mega-hitAtemlos durch die Nacht. Theres also a couple of new entries on older hits, the classicIch war noch niemals in New YorkandWahnsinn (Hölle, Hölle, Hölle).
Each entry on has an intro, rendition from YouTube and lyrics in both German and English.
If, say,We Speak No Americanogets a roaring response in one tent, pretty soon it gets played in all of the tents a couple of times a day. The most popular songs in any given year are dubbed Wiesn Hits. These songs can then make it onto and their immortality is sealed.
Favourite songsEin Prosit lyricsIf theres one song you are absolutely guaranteed to hear at the Oktoberfest its this one.
These are songs to dance, sing and remember to. A few examples areCowboy und IndianerandEr Gehrt zu mir.
1. Ein Prosit- Meaning To good health! or simply Cheers!, Ein Prosit is the gold standard of Oktoberfest songs and the one youll hear played roughly every hour in the beer tents.
Hope you enjoy it all and dont forget to leave your comments at the bottom of the page.
– Theres a bunch of American oldies that have become staples of the Munich Oktoberfest, and John Denvers Country Roads (1970) is still the most loved.
The top 10 Oktoberfest songs for 2018
Que Sera Sea was introduced by Doris Day in a 1956 Hitchcock film and she quickly made it her theme tune.
An Oktoberfest band gets into the swing of things .Pic:digital cat
All you need to know about the traditional songs and modern music at Oktoberfest
This great ice-cream cafe has flavours inclduding white sausage, Oktoberfest beer and pregnancy test.
What would it be like to write your own Oktoberest song? This British duo show us how its done
Above: A traditional German band pumping out the next Oktoberfest hit.
– Fliegerlieds popularity has just seemed to increase in the 10 years since it was released and theres a good chance you may have heard of it even if youve never been to Oktoberfest.
The one exception isEin Prosit, which is played every 20 minutes or so no matter what time of day it is.
So which one is your favourite?Vote for your top pick for this years best Oktoberfest song here
I hope you enjoy it and if you have any questions or suggestions about what to add, pleasewrite inor leave a message below. Prost!
Everyone at the table has to stand up and sing, before a hearty toast and chug to the cry of Oans, Zwoa, Gsuffa! (One, two, chug!)
), 2. Classic Schlager hits, 3. English-language anthems and 4. modern pop.
Its often one of the final songs of the night, and everyone links arms and sways along.
You can learn how to play it here:Ein Prosit sheet music.
Ein Prositis also one of the few Blasmusik tunes to have lyrics, otherwise theyre pretty much always instrumental.
Some are classic German drinking songs that people have been swaying along to for years, and others are more recent hits that have conquered the German charts.
4. To round off, we have modern party hits that snake up the German charts.
Everyone knows the words and can sing along, and the bands often change the tempo for different verses of the song, so its fun trying to keep up.
Get your party on!: The Oktoberfest is so much better when you know the words to the songs, like this guy! Pic: Frank Bauer
Ooommmmpaaaah! Ooommmmpaaaah! Da dee da dee da.
Sing-along hits always play at a beer festival and this is one of the best.
8. Fliegerlied (So ein Schöner Tag)
Its a great party song with a bit of pseudo-yodelling you can sing along with and a cracking tempo.
Who hasnt got their own favourite Oktoberfest song? If not, just stick around this site for a while and I guarantee youll end up with one! Whether youre looking forEin Prosit lyrics, a swim, swim, swimFliegerlied translationor music ideas for your own Oktoberfest event, m is the place to find them.
– This is one song the Oktoberfest bands play when they want to get everyone pumped up, and similar to Living Next Door to Alice there are some risque lines you can sing back to the band.
This is a crib sheet of the top 10 Oktoberfest songs every visitor to the festival in should know.