– – – Billy Joel, Just the Way You Are
– – -The Beatles Yesterday
Gentle on the surface of his thoughts his body floats
Key Largo Montego, baby why dont we go
– – – Billy Joel, Summer, Highland Falls
Freeze this moment a little bit longer
Though I know Ill never lose affection
and I asked her for some happy news,
The Great Book of Inspiring Quotations : Motivational Sayings For All Occasions
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side.
cause you know I wanna stay with you.
Its the dream afraid of waking, that never takes the chance;
When the strings of my harp to sever,
And every time that we ooooh Im more in love with you
therell be no dancing on the gravestone, you must let me sleep.
– – -Minnie Riperton, Lovin You
– – – Michel LeGrand Windmills of Your Mind
And I believe there is a time for meditation
Just what the truth is I cant say any more
Doesnt anybody stay in one place any more?
I sing my heart out to the infinite sea
And if I cant be with you I would rather have a different face
but you and I, weve been through that;
Mama, Mama, many worlds Ive come since I first left home
– – – James Taylor Fire and Rain
– – – Sarah McLachlan, I Will Remember You
– – – Kris Kristofferson, Me and Bobby McGee
– – – Paul Simon, Sounds of Silence
– – – Joe Cocker, Dont Let Me Be Misunderstood
– – – Robert Hunter (Grateful Dead) Casey Jones
– – – Patrick Simmons, Black Water
Im just a poor boy, I need no sympathy
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.
– – – Rush A Farewell To Kings
She said the man in the gabardine suit was a spy.
A simpering, whimpering child again –
Im not scared of dyin and I dont really care
I didnt mean to take up all your sweet time…
Gold is at the end for each of us to find
And go round and round and round in the circle game.
I sing my vision to the sky-high mountains
And Id love to be with you if only I could.
– – – Robert Hunter (Grateful Dead) Box of Rain
I wanna get lost in your rock n roll
I want you to know I believe in your song
We can jump in the water, stay drunk all the time
Just a jackknife has Macheath, dear,
The Lovers Tongue: A Merry Romp Through the Language of Love and Sex
– – – Bob Dylan One Too Many Mornings
But I believe theres a ghost of a chance
Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone
Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong,
– – – Bob Merrill, People Who Need People
Yet unaware of the depth upon which he coasts
And he sang as he sat and waited for his billy-boil,
In the arms of an Angel; may you find some comfort here
Ill think of you each step of the way
But God bless the child thats got his own
And the soul afraid of dying, that never learns to live.
– – – Carole King, Beautiful
– – – Johnny Cash, I Walk the Line
From Heavens all – gracious King –
And forever more, thats how youll stay
The sun is the same in a relative way but youre older.
– – – E. Y. Harburg, Over the Rainbow
– – – Supertramp, Good-bye Stranger
Its the one who wont be taken, who cannot seem to give;
– – – John Newton, Amazing Grace
– – -Bernie Wayne and Lee Morris, Blue Velvet
Things are gonna work out fine if you only will.
– – – Neil Finn Try Whistling This
Ive been trying to get down to the heart of the matter
Word Lovers Book of Unfamiliar Quotations: Over 1,500 Unique Quotations Drawn from the Wisdom of the Ages
– – – Bob Dylan, Its Alright, Ma
I will walk alone by the black muddy river,
Casey Jones youd better watch your speed
I see the doorway to a thousand churches
– – – Rush Time Stand Still
and if it stands or if it crumbles, only time will tell.
– – -Robert Hunter (Grateful Dead) Brokedown Palace
Tell me dear, are you lonesome tonight?
– – -Lorenz Hart, Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered
– – – Simon & Garfunkel, America
for hope has a place in the lovers heart.
Oh you are in my blood like holy wine
Im on your side when times get rough
– – – Tom Rush, The Circle Game
– – – Laura Nyro, And When I Die
– – – Carole King, Tapestry
who shines white light and wants to show
There would still be music left to write.
I dont believe in forever, or love as a mystical state
Every breath you take and every move you make
a million dreams of love surround her,
How many times can a man turn his head,
I bet you think this song is about you.
You say you want, diamonds on a ring of gold
I said, Be careful, his bow tie is really a camera.
Cause Id miss you, baby, and I dont want to miss a thing.
Aruba, Jamaica, ooh I wanna take you to
An everlasting vision of the ever-changing view.
– – – Ira Gershwin, Porgy and Bess
– – -Sting, Every Breath You Take
In the rain the pavement shines like silver
They caught the last train to the coast
If you want my body and you think Im sexy
All my life though some have changed.
And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking.
The Most Brilliant Thoughts of All Time (In Two Lines or Less)
– – -U2, With or Without You
And the good-bye makes the journey harder still.
and no one dare disturb the Sound of Silence.
A dream come true, Ill live there til I die
When my soul was in the lost-and-found
And show the world all the love in your heart
– – – Dobie Gray Drift Away
Whenever I, whenever I am away from you
– – – Aerosmith, Dream On
– – – Bob Dylan, All Along the Watchtower
When I think of love as something new.
What the world needs now is love, sweet love,
Mississippi moon wont you keep on shinin on me?
They say that these are not the best of times,
– – – Don McLean, American Pie
– – – Aerosmith Dont want to miss a thing
Oh I could drink a case of you, darling
– – – Stephen Foster, Beautiful Dreamer
– – -Frankie Valli, My Eyes Adored You
Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea
ease the pain would set the house ablaze
– – – Pink Floyd, Breathe
– – -Dolly Parton I Will Always Love You
– – -Hoyt Axton, Joy to the World
Im asking you, to say my last good-bye
Are the luckiest people in the world.
– – – Edmund Hamilton Sears, The Angels Song
—suzanne vega, tombstone
– – – Herman Hupfeld, As Time Goes By
And some they will and some they wont
– – -Gerry Goffin and Carole King, Will You Love Me Tomorrow?
Id still miss you baby, and I dont want to miss a thing.
– – -Lorenz Hart, Blue Moon
And if I cant be near you I would rather be adrift in space
Yours are the sweetest eyes, Ive ever seen.
And stones fall from my eyes instead of tears…
– – – U2, All I Want is You
– – – Simon and Garfunkel. Bridge Over Troubled Water
– – – John Howard Payne, Home, Sweet Home
– – – Traditional Song Danny Boy
Do the chairs in your parlor seem empty and bare?
And it breaks her heart to think her love is only
And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Oh, the shark has pretty teeth, dear,
– – – Hank Williams, Im So Lonesome I Could Cry
With lovers and friends I still can recall.
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tears
– – – Sarah MacLachlan In the Arms of an Angel
– – – Fred Rose, Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain sung by Willie Nelson
– – -Roy Turk and Lou Handman, Are You Lonesome Tonight
And though you want to last forever,
Down the street the dogs are barking
– – – The Young Rascals, How Can I Be Sure?
Im going, Im going, where the water tastes like wine,
– – -Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody
– – – Arthur Herzog and Billie Holiday, God Bless the Child
in a stupor from the drugs that didnt
You must remember this, a kiss is still a kiss,
When it seems like the night will last forever,
And for the heavens are those who can fly.
– – – Enya Hope Has a Place
And if she asks you why you can tell her that I told you
Make each sensation a little bit stronger
The love we knew, aint worth another try
– – -Rolling Stones, Ruby Tuesday
– – – Joni Mitchell, Both Sides Now
And every day of my life is filled with lovin you
– – – Bob Dylan Blowing in the Wind
– – – Carole King Tapestry
DuBose Heyward wrote the lyrics th Summertime
– – – The Beatles, The End
You say you want, your story to remain untold
Do you gaze at your doorstep and picture me there?
Tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
I want to stand with you on a mountain
– – – Carly Simon, Youre So Vain
Every bond you break, every step you take
– – – Manowar, Master of the Wind
Little boy blue and the man in the moon.
Were captive on the carousel of time.
and you can carve my name in marble, you must cut it deep;
the resolution of all the fruitless searches
Blowing through the jasmine in my mind.
Youll come a-waltzing, Matilda, with me.
Its the only thing that theres just too little of.
– – – Pete Townshend Song is Over
Every single day and every word you say
– – – Joni Mitchell Both Sides Now
My life has been a tapestry of rich and royal hue.
– – -Steve Miller, The Joker
– – – Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here
– – -Bob Dylan, Tomorrow is a Long Time
Beauty Id always missed with these eyes before
I dont believe in the stars or the planets
Ive got a dream I want the world to share in castle walls
I really love your peaches, wanna shake your tree
He not busy being born is busy dying.
How the thought of you does things to me
I dont believe in destiny or the guiding hand of fate
All these lines on my face getting clearer
Like a million miles away from me you couldnt see how I adored ya
screaming and crying wife during the day, but
– – -Enya Paint the Sky with Stars
i like a tombstone, cuz it weathers well,
So excuse me forgetting, but these things I do
Because Im easy come, easy go; little high, little low
People writing songs that voices never share,
I come to you defenses down with the trust of a child.
– – – Irving Gordon, Unforgettable
Oh Lord, please dont let me be misunderstood.
Dreamers learn to steer by the stars
Unweighed down by passion or intensity
Yet you, yet you, must go and I must bide.
Starlight and dewdrops are waiting for thee.
– – – Peter Gabriel In Your Eyes
And I think everything is going to be all right
– – -Kurt Weill, Bertolt Brecht, Threepenny Opera
– – – Paul Simon, The Boxer
– – – Bobby Goldsboro, Honey
I sing my heart out to the wide open spaces
When theres a shadow, you follow the sun.
And he carries a reminder of every glove that laid him down…
Dont go changing, to try and please me
Now it looks as though theyre here to stay.
Theres beauty in the silver singing river
Peace on earth, good will to men
Im so afraid to love you, but more afraid to loose
Shower the people you love with love
And theres nothing left to do but count the years,
Youre the cutest thing that I ever did see
Let us not speak falsely now, the hours getting late.
– – -Rush Everyday Glory
When I kissed you and called you sweetheart?
Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mama
Once there was a darkness, deep and endless night
From this dark, cold hotel room, and the endlessness that you fear
And for the promises, there is the sky.
Youve got to get up every morning with a smile on your face
And whispered in the sounds of silence.
Here the four winds know who will break and who will bend
But I always thought that Id see you again
The summers gone and all the flowers are dying
– – – Don McLean Castles in the Air
Its the heart afraid of dying, that never learns to dance;
Lovin you has made my life so beautiful
Id rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints
And if the gods desert us I would burn this chapel into flames
– – – Oasis Live Forever
Does your memory stray to a bright sunny day?
For people and things that went before
Catch the breeze and the winter chills
– – – Robert Burns, Auld Lang Syne
– – – Carole King, Far Away
but she just smiled and turned away.
That I remember in my true loves eyes
Theres beauty in the sunrise in the sky
And the painted ponies go up and down.
and pretend that he just doesnt see?
– – -Canned Heat, Going Up The Country
Ill give it right back to you, one of these days
– – – Eleanor Farjeon, A Morning Song
– – – Jack Yellen Happy Days Are Here Again
Every game you play, every night you stay
Night breezes seem to whisper, I love you
You see Ive forgotten, if theyre green or theyre blue
– – – Billy Joel, The Longest Time
– – -Garth Brooks Your Song
Mid pleasures and palaces though we may roam,
– – – Justin Hayward, Nights In White Satin
– – – Led Zeppelin, Stairway to Heaven
– – -Don Henly Heart of The Matter
And Honey, I miss you and Im being good.
– – – Peter Gabriel Red Rain
The 50 Greatest Love Letters of All Time
When tears are in your eyes, Ill dry them all
Im just a soul whose intentions are good,
– – – Harry Chapin, Cats In the Cradle
– – -Joni Mitchell, A Case Of You – Blue album
– – – Billy Joel And So It Goes
– – -Robbie Kreiger , Light My Fire
Letters Ive written never meaning to send
Be it ever so humble, theres no place like home.
Late at night a big ole house gets lonely,
Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
Anyway, the thing is, what I really mean
Lovin you I see your soul come shining through
– – – Garth Brooks, The River
Tonight the light of love is in your eyes
But it just may be a lunatic youre looking for.
– – – Neil Young, Love Is A Rose
Like a song of love that clings to me
Hills of forest green where the mountains touch the sky
Everybodys got their dues in life to pay
Kokomo, well get there fast and then well take it slow
anyway the wind blows doesnt really matter to me
And you know that notion just crossed my mind
– – -Fiona Apple, Pale September
And if someone tries to hurt you I would put myself in your place
I know Ill often stop and think about them
There the road begins, where another one will end
Nights in white satin never reaching the end
– – – Rush Ghost Of A Chance
Ive seen sunny days that I thought would never end
When there is love, then you look for the one.
In the clearing stands the boxer, and a fighter by his trade.
– – -Percy Sledge, When a Man Loves a Woman
How can I be sure where I stand with you?
Given to a man with hands as cold as ice.
The Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost,
Cause were all in the mood for a melody,
Fred Jones was worn out from caring for his often
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered am I.
– – -Savage Garden, Truly Madly Deeply
– – -Bob Marley Three Little Birds
You are pulled from the wreckage of your silent reverie
In the darkness, the trees are full of starlight
Oppressed so hard they could not stand,
I will walk alone by the black muddy river,
I am leaving! I am leaving but the fighter still remains.
but I think its about forgiveness…
– – – Rush Permanent Waves
– – – On My Own from Les Miserables
River gonna take me, Sing me sweet and sleepy,
Thanks for the joy that youre givin me
– – – Billy Joel Shes Got a Way
Trying to learn from whats behind you
Nothin aint worth nothin but its free.
or cut him till he cried out in his anger and his shame
Fish are jumpin, and the cotton is high.
And all I see is him and me forever and forever
Racing around to come up behind you again.
Thats where we wanna go, way down in Kokomo.
Its a far gone lullaby sung many years ago
And these memories lose their meaning
Ive seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
Sing me sweet and sleepy all the way back home,
– – -Gus Kahn, Dream A Little Dream of Me
But theyre the only times Ive ever known.
Freedoms just another word for nothin left to lose.
All the lights are misty in the river
Yesterday all my troubles seemed so far away.
The following are bits and pieces of the Brain Candy collectors favorite song lyrics, accumulated through the years. In the case of some shorter works, the entire song is included.
– – – Paul Simon, Sounds of Silence
– – – Robert Plant, Thank You
– – – Cat Stevens O Very Young
– – – Don McLean Vincent
Maybe tomorrow, the good lord will take you away
– – – Billy Joel, My Life
– – – Celine Dion My Heart Will Go On
Ive looked at life from both sides now
But none of these and nothing else can match the beauty
In the arms of an Angel far away from here
– – – Robert Hunter (Grateful Dead) Black Muddy River
– – – Ben Folds Five, Cigarette (thats the whole song)
– – – Billy Joel, Only the Good Die Young
– – – Seals & Crofts, Summer Breeze
he couldnt sleep at night for fear that she,
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,
– – – Aerosmith, Dream On
in a world thats constantly changing?
For what misfortune sows, he knows my touch will reap
Give me the beat boys and free my soul
Is your heart filled with pain, shall I come back again?
Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see
The love you take is equal to the love you make.
– – -Rod Stewart, Do Ya Think Im Sexy
And the words of the prophets are written on the subway walls,
– – – James Taylor, Shower the People
With eyes that know the darkness in my soul
– – – Amanda McBroom, The Rose
I guess every form refuge has its price
And the seasons, they go round and round,
– – – Billy Joel, You May Be Right
You gave me everything you had, oh you gave me light
Like a bridge over troubled water I will lay me down
Clinging to a past that doesnt let me choose
– – – Andrew Barton Banjo Paterson, Australias National Song